Saturday, August 7, 2010

Life: A Reflection

This week has reminded me of the nature of human existence. On the one hand, I have been working with several couples on the preparation of their weddings. I see the excitement, the love, the joy. They have shared with me their journeys and I have observed how they have stood with each other and supported each other with the ongoing challenges of life. I am reminded of the joy of life.

On the other hand, several stories have come to me of families facing unexpected tragedies in the form of human violence and accidents. The grief and fear of these families are the polar opposites of the joy and hope of the couples planning their weddings. These stories have reminded me of the sadness that human life can be.

Both categories of experience have refreshed in my mind the wonderful thing called life. It is the joy of new beginnings, the hope of love, the pain of loss, and the mystery of the unexplainable. The stories of happiness and the stories of sadness reinforce for me the sacredness of human existence.

And these events remind me of the grace of God--the giver of life and the giver of love. A God who never promised us an easy life, just a more abundant one. A God who is there with us to enhance the joy of our weddings and a God who is there to comfort us in our funerals. A God who is there with us by the side of a hospital bed and in the routine days that pass uneventfully.

For those families experiencing great joy and excitement: a prayer of thanksgiving for the gift of love and happiness. For those families facing the most difficult days of their lives: a prayer for strength and comfort. For all of us: a prayer to value the sacredness of life itself with all of its joys and sorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ed2Go

ed2go Full Catalog